& many more
The Benefits of CurrentWare’s
Computer Monitoring & Web Filtering For Schools
CurrentWare’s internet filtering and computer monitoring software solutions are critical technology protection measures that schools and libraries need to meet CIPA compliance while ensuring a safe and productive learning environment. Prevent access to inappropriate content in just a few clicks.
Create a Safe Learning Environment
Effortlessly deliver safer online experiences with advanced awareness and control over student computer usage.
Implement 1:1 technology and digital tools confidently knowing that students have thoughtful guardrails for digital exploration.
- Category Web Filtering: Block millions of websites with unsafe and inappropriate content across 100+ URL categories in just a few clicks
- Student Internet Monitoring: Get insights into websites visited, browsing times, and search queries to ensure students are browsing the web safely
- Custom Policies: Apply unique internet restrictions to students based on different age groups and legitimate research needs
Fight Distractions for Effective Classroom Management
Implement computer monitoring & web filtering for schools to defeat distractions, increase student engagement, and empower teachers to teach confidently with technology.
- Block Distractions: Block PC games, inappropriate content, social media sites, and more to keep students focused on their tasks
- Time-Based Controls: Apply web filtering rules based on schedules to accommodate breaks, after-school programs, and clubs
- Disable Internet: In just a few clicks you can block internet access entirely, allowing students to use their laptops to take notes without the temptation to browse the web
Prevent Cheating in Online Tests
Laptops and desktops are critical learning tools, but without internet filtering it’s far too easy for them to cheat on their tests.
Take back control over student PC use with CurrentWare’s computer monitoring and web filtering for schools.
- Internet Control: Allow access to only a select list of URLs while blocking all others to ensure that students are only accessing permitted materials
- Monitor PC Use: Get near-real-time visibility into student PC usage to ensure that they are not misusing their computers during instruction
- Live Screen Monitoring: Monitor student desktops within your LAN in real time with a live feed of what they’re doing on their computer
Protect Devices Anytime, Anywhere
To truly support remote learning and 1:1 device programs you need computer monitoring and web filtering for schools that ensures student safety no matter what network your students use.
With CurrentWare’s software client you can rest assured that your students and devices are safe when taken off site.
- Anti-Tampering: The CurrentWare Client stays on the student’s computer and cannot be uninstalled or disabled without administrator access
- Scheduled Monitoring: Disable internet monitoring outside of schools hours to give students the freedom to browse without data collection
- Endpoint Security: Protect endpoint devices with CurrentWare’s robust solutions for PC activity monitoring, USB device control, and web filtering for schools
Improve Network Performance
Streaming a 4K Ultra HD Netflix video consumes 7GB of data per hour.
Students that misuse the school’s network aren’t only harming their own productivity, they also strain the available bandwidth and make network speeds slower for students and staff.
- Bandwidth Monitoring: Find out which users and computers are abusing the available bandwidth and which websites are responsible for the bandwidth usage
- Historic Data: Track bandwidth usage over time to make informed decisions regarding network upgrades
- Block Bandwidth Hogs: Once bandwidth hogs are identified they can be readily blocked in just a few clicks
Easily Customize Web Filtering Policies
Easily provide access to bona fide research—without exposing students to adult content.
CurrentWare’s granular tools and user-friendly interface allow IT admins to delegate adjustment of web filtering policies to teachers and other trusted staff members.
- Request Access: When a student tries to access a blocked website they can click a link to request access
- Policy Groups: Apply unique policies to groups of students and devices to give mature age groups greater freedom without exposing young students to inappropriate content.
- Operator Accounts: Admins can selectively allow staff to modify web filtering policies for multiple devices without being given access to the all of the admin console
Enforcing Internet Use Policies Has Never Been Easier
Our student computer monitoring and internet filtering software gives you detailed control and visibility of web activity, making it the perfect tool for enforcing internet use policies.
- Collect Evidence: Maintain records of students attempting to visit inappropriate websites on school devices
- Internet Security: Improve security with triggered alerts every time your students or staff visit high-risk websites including porn, torrents, and file sharing websites
- Filtering & Monitoring: Track student computer activity to collect evidence of unwanted computer usage then block unwanted websites and applications based on the reports
Web Filtering & Internet Safety In Education
“Exposing students to the digital world comes with a responsibility
to protect them. Students love BrowseControl because it gives them a safe working environment and prevents potential bad actors from interrupting their educational experience."
Web Filtering & Computer Monitoring Software for CIPA Compliance
With CurrentWare’s database of over 190 million URLs meeting CIPA web filtering compliance is as easy as a few clicks. Block websites across 100+ URL categories including hate speech, weapons, and pornography.
CIPA Compliant Internet Filter—BrowseControl
CurrentWare’s BrowseControl is a technology protection measure that allows libraries, schools, and employers to restrict access to undesirable content and websites using features such as allowed/blocked lists, custom URL internet filtering, and category-based internet filtering.
BrowseControl’s Content Filtering feature gives libraries and schools access to our up-to-date restriction database with over 100 URL categories.
With the category web filtering solution, any inappropriate websites can be blocked based on adult-oriented content categories, allowing children and patrons to use the internet without exposure to obscene material.
CIPA Compliant Internet Monitoring—BrowseReporter
CurrentWare’s BrowseReporter allows schools to implement and maintain CIPA compliance by monitoring their students’ use of the school’s technology.
BrowseReporter’s live-feed remote screen capture works with your local area network (LAN) to provide real-time monitoring of computer screens on your network.
Along with CIPA-compliant monitoring, BrowseReporter gives you access to additional features such as real-time internet monitoring and detailed internet activity reports through a centralized console.
With BrowseReporter, school IT departments and administrators are provided with detailed reports on the sites and applications used on their technology including total browsing time, sites visited, and the keywords their students are searching for.
What is the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA)?
“The Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) was enacted by Congress in 2000 to address concerns about children’s access to obscene or harmful content over the Internet. CIPA imposes certain requirements on schools or libraries that receive discounts for Internet access or internal connections through the E-rate program – a program that makes certain communications services and products more affordable for eligible schools and libraries. In early 2001, the FCC issued rules implementing CIPA and provided updates to those rules in 2011.” – The Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
The goal of CIPA is to limit children’s access to obscene or harmful content over the Internet by incentivizing public libraries and K-12 schools to implement a “technology protection measure that protects against access to visual depictions that are obscene, child pornography, or harmful to minors” such as CurrentWare’s CIPA-compliant web filtering for schools and libraries.
How Can Schools & Libraries Become CIPA Compliant?
Schools and libraries must certify they are in compliance with CIPA before they can receive E-rate funding.
To become CIPA compliant, public libraries will need:
- Internet safety policies that dictate safe internet practices
- Internet filtering technologies to proactively prevent exposure to obscene visual content (referred to as a “technology protection measure” outlined under CIPA)
Schools have two additional CIPA requirements:
- Methods of monitoring the online activities of minors
- Education to minors about appropriate online behavior including cyberbullying awareness and expectations for conduct when using social networks or chat rooms.
Before adopting their internet safety policy, schools and libraries must provide reasonable notice and hold at least one public hearing or meeting to address their proposal for safe internet practices.
Once a public library or K-12 school becomes CIPA compliant, they will be required to have their compliance standards and enforcement reviewed annually for recertification.
In accordance with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), public libraries and K-12 schools are permitted to allow an authorized person to “disable the blocking or filtering measure during use by an adult to enable access for bona fide research or other lawful purposes.”
With CurrentWare’s CIPA-compliant web filtering for schools you can effortlessly tailor your internet use policies to suit the needs of each student, staff member, or patron.
Meet CIPA Compliance With CurrentWare’s
Technology Protection Measures
Full Functional. Easy to Use. Install in Minutes
Why CurrentWare is the Best Computer Monitoring
and Web Filtering for Schools & Libraries
Flexible User & PC Management
With CurrentWare’s flexible and intuitive internet monitoring and web filtering solution you can easily protect students and devices no matter how large or small your school district is.
Safely take advantage of digital tools to create smart and effective digital learning environments that can be customized to meet the needs of the day—or each student.
- AD Sync: Use Active Directory import and sync to manage student and staff devices using your school networks’ existing organizational units
- Deployment: Use CurrentWare on Windows laptops and desktops either on-premises, on a self-managed cloud server, and even via Citrix, Remote Desktop, and/or Terminal Server
- Granular Tools: Organize your users into their own policy groups such as different age groups, departments, or classrooms to ensure web filtering policies meet their needs without affecting productivity
- Central Console: Remotely manage multiple devices from a convenient central admin console
- Flexible Policies: Implement unique web filtering policies based on time of day, limit browsing time, and more
- Offline Management: Continue protecting and monitoring devices when they leave the school network
Effortlessly Block Inappropriate Content With the Category Web Filtering Solution
BrowseControl’s web filtering category database provides you with a convenient way to block millions of websites across over 100 URL categories.
Easily block users from accessing inappropriate content including social media sites, porn, games, known virus-infected websites, and more!
- Inappropriate Content: Prevent minors from accessing adult-oriented websites including pornography, adult dating, drugs, hate sites, and chat rooms
- Internet Distractions: Stop students from disrupting their learning environment with distracting games, social media sites, and video sites
- Easy Exceptions: Allow web filtering exceptions for permitted domains while blocking a target category, such as allowing access to LinkedIn while blocking Social Media
Learn More: BrowseControl’s Web Content Categories
Protect Students and School Networks Without Blocking Legitimate Research
Over blocking while using web filtering for schools and libraries harms education; when you implement web content filtering policies that are inflexible and overly aggressive it can unintentionally generate false flags and block access to legitimate research.
CurrentWare’s web filtering for schools can be adjusted in just a few clicks, allowing school administrators to adjust their web filtering policies as soon as over blocking is detected.
- Staff Access: Use CurrentWare’s Operator Accounts to provide staff with the ability to adjust their classroom’s web filtering policies without giving them access to other admin features
- Ease-of-Use: Once deployed adjusting student and computer web filtering policies is as easy as a few clicks, allowing IT staff to delegate the management of internet use policies with minimal support
- Custom Policies: Prevent young students from accessing inappropriate content while providing older students with more flexible access for legitimate research purposes
Advantageous Pricing for Education & Nonprofits
School districts are forced to do more with less. CurrentWare’s computer monitoring and web filtering for schools provides a cost-effective way to manage technology in your school network without straining budgetary needs.
- Education Discounts: To help manage EdTech costs, CurrentWare offers educational institutions 10% off of any of the products in the CurrentWare Suite.
- Bundled Solutions: CurrentWare’s classroom management solutions can be purchased individually for the greatest flexibility or as a full suite for the best value.
- Volume Licensing: Volume-based licensing provides advantageous pricing for organizations that need web filtering for schools with large quantities of devices.
- Prepurchase Discounts: Pricing breaks are available for schools and libraries that sign up for multi-year plans, or have future growth planned and can commit to bulk orders.
Want a quote? Reach out to our sales team!
Internet Use Policy Template
Download this FREE internet use policy to set standards for acceptable internet usage in your organization.
- Disclose the organization’s intent to monitor internet use
- Communicate acceptable standards for technology use
- Describe your user’s rights and responsibilities
Discover Our Products
Starting at $3.99 USD user/month
BrowseReporter is a versatile employee monitoring software to track productivity and efficiency.
Easily monitor web browsing and application usage with intuitive user activity reports and dashboards.
✓ Make informed decisions with user activity monitoring
✓ Detailed evidence of web activity, the perfect tool for enforcing internet use policies
✓ Automatically capture screenshots of employee desktops
BrowseControl is an easy-to-use website blocking software for restricting internet access.
Enforce internet use policies, block distracting websites, and improve internet security with granular internet access control policies.
✓ Block websites based on URLs and content categories
✓ Prevent users from running certain programs
✓ Control internet access with allow and block lists
AccessPatrol is a data loss prevention and USB control software to protect sensitive data against theft to portable storage devices.
Block USB devices and other peripherals to mitigate the threat of USB malware and data leakage.
✓ Block USB devices, network storage, & other peripherals
✓ Get alerts of USB file transfers and device use
✓ Block file transfers based on name and filetype
PC Power Manager
enPowerManager is an effective solution for remotely managing PC power policies across an enterprise to conserve energy and reduce costs.
Schedule PC power states or remotely boot up, shut down, or restart computers from the convenience of a central console.
✓ Remotely schedule and manage computer power states
✓ Configure advanced power policies for all users and computers
✓ Track logon, startup, and shutdown activities with intuitive reports
Get All 4 Modules in the CurrentWare Suite
Each module operates from the same central console, allowing you to easily manage the entire CurrentWare Suite from the convenience of a web browser.
✓ Get an advantageous price starting at $8.99 USD PUPM when you purchase all four modules as a bundle
✓ Seamlessly add new modules without redeploying the clients
✓ Includes BrowseReporter, BrowseControl, AccessPatrol, and enPowerManager
Flexible Deployment Options
On-Premises | Remote Workers | Self-Managed Cloud
Download the Free Trial
Get started today with a free fully-functional 14-day trial of the CurrentWare Suite. No credit card required to sign up!
Deploy the Software
Install the Console & Server on a computer, server, or a cloud platform of your choice. Then deploy the Clients to your users’ computers.
Manage your Users
Organize your PCs/Users into custom policy groups. Get advanced awareness & control over how technology is used in your organization.
Get Started Today
With a Free Trial
Fully functional. Easy to use. Install in minutes.
"As a 'novice' I was able to set up with help from support in about an hour. Previous software took forever and didn't work as advertised. This software worked right out of the box."
Dr. Gerard B, Office Manager
"This software was easy to install and customize to our needs. Category Filtering is such a time saver and of course saving time is saving money!"
Scott S, Senior Systems Engineer
"BrowseControl is the best software for internet filtering. We can block specific websites and applications...[being able to] add and remove the restrictions instantly is a great feature. They have a great customer support to solve our queries."
Ajoob S, Engineer
"The software actually does what was advertised and the support is great! We were able to have the software up and running on the same day with no issues or even a call/email to their support."
Ken W, IT Manager
Get Started Today
With a Free Trial
Fully functional. Easy to use. Install in minutes.
Get Started Today
With a Free Trial
Fully functional. Easy to use. Install in minutes.
How to Protect Student Privacy When Using
Computer Monitoring Software For Schools
Give your users access to their own computer activity data. They can see exactly what internet and application usage data is being captured and use the time tracking their own benefit.
Custom Data Retention
Automatically delete user activity data after a set period of time. Maintain auditable records of computer usage and time tracking for only as long as needed.
Monitoring Software Notifications
Display a custom message from time-to-time to notify your users that their computer activity is being monitored.
Show in System Tray
Enable this feature to make the CurrentWare Client visible in the system tray of your users' computers.
Restrict access to user activity data with a password-protected console and unique data access permissions for each manager. Easily provide access on an as-needed basis.
Schedule BrowseReporter’s computer tracking to only collect data during work time. Turn off monitoring during non-work hours and personal browsing periods.
Disable Computer Tracking
CurrentWare's computer tracking software features can be selectively enabled or disabled, giving you full control over what is being monitored.
Get Started Today
With a Free Trial
Fully functional. Easy to use. Install in minutes.
Computer Monitoring & Web Filtering for Schools FAQ
Does CurrentWare Have Access to My Student’s Data?
No. CurrentWare’s computer monitoring software for schools and libraries does not send your user’s computer usage data to CurrentWare.
All of the data collected by CurrentWare’s user activity monitoring tools is stored on a database that is installed in your organization’s data center or cloud service provider.
For more information please refer to our Terms of Service.
Will Students Be Able To Circumvent the Web Content Controls?
No. CurrentWare’s web filtering and computer monitoring software for schools has a software agent that is protected against tampering by the end-users.
- Stealth Mode: The CurrentWare agent cannot be found in the Control Panel’s program list on the student’s computer; it can be optionally shown in the system tray
- Anti-Tampering: CurrentWare cannot be uninstalled or stopped without administrator privileges
- Bypass Protection: The client agent is installed on the endpoint and cannot be bypassed using VPNs, anonymizers, proxy sites
Can I Allow Local Network Access While Preventing Access to Online Resources?
Yes. Simply set the internet to “off” in BrowseControl and add the authorized intranet sites to the Allow List using their hostname or IP address.
Can I Limit Web Use in Citrix, Remote Desktop, and/or Terminal Server Environments?
Yes. The CurrentWare Suite is supported on desktop computers, virtual machines (VMs), and servers running modern versions of the Windows operating system.
CurrentWare is a Citrix Ready partner; all of our solutions have gone through rigorous testing to ensure it is compatible with Citrix. You can install the CurrentWare Clients on your Citrix Workspace running Windows.
In addition, all CurrentWare components are compatible with Remote Desktop Services (RDS) or Terminal Servers (TS).
When restricting the web in Citrix with CurrentWare you can block a site on PC Mode to control the individual virtual machine or on User Mode to control specific employees across multiple devices and/or virtual machines.
Monitoring and managing employees in a Terminal Services environment works similarly.
The exception is that in a Terminal Server/Terminal Services environment the server will be registered as an individual endpoint; to apply granular policies for each user, department, or Organizational Unit you will need to use User Mode.
How Do I Limit Internet Use at a Certain Time?
BrowseControl includes three features to limit internet access based on time – internet quota limit, internet scheduler, and internet timer.
The Timer feature allows you to turn the internet on or off after a set time limit has elapsed. Once the timer has expired, the Internet settings will return to the previous Internet mode (ON/OFF or Schedule).
The Internet Scheduler allows you to set unique allow and block lists on a set schedule. This is typically used to allow employees or students access to unproductive sites during their breaks while restricting them during work periods.
The Internet Quota feature allows the administrator to control how long each user has access to the web on a daily basis. This allows them to browse the web throughout the day until their quota is reached. This feature is ideal for organizations with patrons that do not require ongoing access to the web.
Does CurrentWare Provide Cloud Based Web Filtering for Schools?
The CurrentWare Suite can be deployed on-premises or on a cloud platform of your choice. Both deployment option are compatible with remote device management with a few configuration changes.
Note: Rather than cloud based web filtering the CurrentWare Clients that are installed on your student’s device are what enforces the web filtering policies.
Will CurrentWare Track Student Web Browsing When They Use Private Browsing Modes or Delete Their Browsing History?
Yes. CurrentWare’s software client collects user activity data indepedent of the browser’s browsing history.
Internet browsing data will remain intact for use in reports and dashboards even if the user deletes their web browsing history in their browser or uses a private browsing function such as Incognito Mode On Google Chrome, Private Browsing On Mozilla Firefox, and InPrivate Browsing Window On Microsoft Edge.
Will CurrentWare Continue to Protect Students When They Take Their Devices Home?
Yes. The software client that is installed on the student’s computer has the ability to monitor computer activity and block websites even if it does not have a connection with the CurrentWare Server.
When your students disconnect from your network the client agent will store their activity data and internet use policies locally on the device. Once they reconnect to the network their data will be synced to the CurrentWare server.
Note: If you wish to get activity data from computers outside of the network they will need to be configured to communicate with the CurrentWare Server. Once a connection is reestablished you will receive your student’s computer usage data and any CurrentWare policy updates will take effect.
How is the CurrentWare Suite Secured?
CurrentWare is committed to the security of its platform, its users and their data.
- All of the data collected by CurrentWare’s solutions is stored in your organization’s data center or cloud service provider; the data is not sent to CurrentWare.
- The web console cannot be accessed without a username and password. For an added layer of authentication security you can enable two-factor authentication.
- You can selectively enable/disable what data is tracked and delete old records automatically.
For a complete overview of the security measures that CurrentWare has in place, check out the CurrentWare platform security overview page.
What Operating Systems Are Supported?
CurrentWare works on most computers running Windows operating systems on 32-bit or 64-bit platforms.
With the Web Console you can manage your administrative settings from any browser on any operating system within your network by default.
The server and clients must be installed and hosted from a Windows based operating system.
Learn More: CurrentWare System Requirements
Meet CIPA Compliance With CurrentWare
Easy to use computer monitoring and web filtering for schools and libraries