& many more
and many more
The Benefits of CurrentWare’s
Computer Monitoring & Web Filtering Software For Schools
CurrentWare’s internet filtering and computer monitoring software solutions are critical technology protection measures that schools and libraries need to meet CIPA compliance while ensuring a safe and productive learning environment. Prevent access to inappropriate content in just a few clicks.
Create a Safe Learning Environment
Effortlessly deliver safer online experiences with advanced awareness and control over student computer usage.
Implement 1:1 technology and digital tools confidently knowing that students have thoughtful guardrails for digital exploration.
- Category Web Filtering: Block millions of websites with unsafe and inappropriate content across 100+ URL categories in just a few clicks
- Student Internet Monitoring: Get insights into websites visited, browsing times, and search queries to ensure students are browsing the web safely
- Custom Policies: Apply unique internet restrictions to students based on different age groups and legitimate research needs
Fight Distractions for Effective Classroom Management
Implement computer monitoring & web filtering for schools to defeat distractions, increase student engagement, and empower teachers to teach confidently with technology.
- Block Distractions: Block PC games, inappropriate content, social media sites, and more to keep students focused on their tasks
- Time-Based Controls: Apply web filtering rules based on schedules to accommodate breaks, after-school programs, and clubs
- Disable Internet: In just a few clicks you can block internet access entirely, allowing students to use their laptops to take notes without the temptation to browse the web
Prevent Cheating in Online Tests
Laptops and desktops are critical learning tools, but without internet filtering it’s far too easy for them to cheat on their tests.
Take back control over student PC use with CurrentWare’s computer monitoring and web filtering for schools.
- Internet Control: Allow access to only a select list of URLs while blocking all others to ensure that students are only accessing permitted materials
- Monitor PC Use: Get near-real-time visibility into student PC usage to ensure that they are not misusing their computers during instruction
- Live Screen Monitoring: Monitor student desktops within your LAN in real time with a live feed of what they’re doing on their computer
Protect Devices Anytime, Anywhere
To truly support remote learning and 1:1 device programs you need computer monitoring and web filtering for schools that ensures student safety no matter what network your students use.
With CurrentWare’s software client you can rest assured that your students and devices are safe when taken off site.
- Anti-Tampering: The CurrentWare Client stays on the student’s computer and cannot be uninstalled or disabled without administrator access
- Scheduled Monitoring: Disable internet monitoring outside of schools hours to give students the freedom to browse without data collection
- Endpoint Security: Protect endpoint devices with CurrentWare’s robust solutions for PC activity monitoring, USB device control, and web filtering for schools
Easily Customize Web Filtering Policies
Easily provide access to bona fide research—without exposing students to adult content.
CurrentWare’s granular tools and user-friendly interface allow IT admins to delegate adjustment of web filtering policies to teachers and other trusted staff members.
- Request Access: When a student tries to access a blocked website they can click a link to request access
- Policy Groups: Apply unique policies to groups of students and devices to give mature age groups greater freedom without exposing young students to inappropriate content.
- Operator Accounts: Admins can selectively allow staff to modify web filtering policies for multiple devices without being given access to the all of the admin console
Enforcing Internet Use Policies Has Never Been Easier
Our student computer monitoring and internet filtering software gives you detailed control and visibility of web activity, making it the perfect tool for enforcing internet use policies.
- Collect Evidence: Maintain records of students attempting to visit inappropriate websites on school devices
- Internet Security: Improve security with triggered alerts every time your students or staff visit high-risk websites including porn, torrents, and file sharing websites
- Filtering & Monitoring: Track student computer activity to collect evidence of unwanted computer usage then block unwanted websites and applications based on the reports
Meet CIPA Compliance Requirements
With Web Filtering & Computer Monitoring Software for Schools
With CurrentWare’s database of over 190 million URLs, meeting CIPA web filtering compliance is as easy as a few clicks. Block websites across 100+ URL categories including hate speech, weapons, and pornography.
With CurrentWare’s CIPA-compliant web filtering for schools you can effortlessly tailor your internet use policies to suit the needs of each student, staff member, or patron. Effortlessly disable blocking to enable access for bona fide research or other lawful purposes.
CIPA Compliant Internet Filter—BrowseControl
CurrentWare’s BrowseControl is a technology protection measure that allows libraries, schools, and employers to restrict access to undesirable content and websites using features such as allowed/blocked lists, custom URL internet filtering, and category-based internet filtering.
BrowseControl’s Content Filtering feature gives libraries and schools access to our up-to-date restriction database with over 100 URL categories.
With the category web filtering solution, any inappropriate websites can be blocked based on adult-oriented content categories, allowing children and patrons to use the internet without exposure to obscene material.
CIPA Compliant Internet Monitoring—BrowseReporter
CurrentWare’s BrowseReporter allows schools to implement and maintain CIPA compliance by monitoring their students’ use of the school’s technology.
Along with CIPA-compliant monitoring, BrowseReporter gives you access to additional features such as real-time internet monitoring and detailed internet activity reports through a centralized console.
With BrowseReporter, schools are provided with detailed reports on the sites and applications used by students with metrics such as total browsing time, sites visited, and keywords searched.
What is the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA)?
“The Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) was enacted by Congress in 2000 to address concerns about children’s access to obscene or harmful content over the Internet.
CIPA imposes certain requirements on schools or libraries that receive discounts for Internet access or internal connections through the E-rate program – a program that makes certain communications services and products more affordable for eligible schools and libraries.
In early 2001, the FCC issued rules implementing CIPA and provided updates to those rules in 2011.” – The Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
The goal of CIPA is to limit children’s access to obscene or harmful content over the Internet by incentivizing public libraries and K-12 schools to implement a “technology protection measure that protects against access to visual depictions that are obscene, child pornography, or harmful to minors” such as CurrentWare’s CIPA-compliant web filtering for schools and libraries.
How Can Schools & Libraries Become CIPA Compliant?
Schools and libraries must certify they are in compliance with CIPA before they can receive E-rate funding.
- To become CIPA compliant, public libraries will need:
- Internet safety policies that dictate safe internet practices
- Internet filtering technologies to proactively prevent exposure to obscene visual content (referred to as a “technology protection measure” outlined under CIPA)
- Schools have two additional CIPA requirements:
- Methods of monitoring the online activities of minors
- Education to minors about appropriate online behavior including cyberbullying awareness and expectations for conduct when using social networks or chat rooms.
Meet CIPA Compliance With CurrentWare’s
Technology Protection Measures
Full Functional. Easy to Use. Install in Minutes
Why CurrentWare is the Best Computer Monitoring
and Web Filtering Software for Schools & Libraries
Flexible User & PC Management
With CurrentWare’s flexible and intuitive internet monitoring and web filtering solution you can easily protect students and devices no matter how large or small your school district is.
- AD Sync: Use Active Directory import and sync to manage student and staff devices using your school networks’ existing organizational units
- Deployment: Use CurrentWare on Windows laptops and desktops either on-premises, on a self-managed cloud server, and even via Citrix, Remote Desktop, and/or Terminal Server
- Granular Policies: Organize your users into their own policy groups such as different age groups, departments, or classrooms to ensure web filtering policies meet their needs without affecting productivity
- Central Console: Remotely manage multiple devices from a convenient central admin console
- Offline Management: Continue protecting and monitoring devices when they leave the school network
Effortlessly Block Inappropriate Content With the Category Web Filtering Solution
BrowseControl’s web filtering category database provides you with a convenient way to block millions of websites across over 100 URL categories.
Easily block users from accessing inappropriate content including social media sites, porn, games, known virus-infected websites, and more!
- Inappropriate Content: Prevent minors from accessing adult-oriented websites including pornography, adult dating, drugs, hate sites, and chat rooms
- Internet Distractions: Stop students from disrupting their learning environment with distracting games, social media sites, and video sites
- Easy Exceptions: Allow web filtering exceptions for permitted domains while blocking a target category, such as allowing access to LinkedIn while blocking Social Media
Learn More: BrowseControl’s Web Content Categories
Protect Students and School Networks Without Blocking Legitimate Research
Over blocking while using web filtering for schools and libraries harms education; when you implement web content filtering policies that are inflexible and overly aggressive it can unintentionally generate false flags and block access to legitimate research.
CurrentWare’s web filtering for schools can be adjusted in just a few clicks, allowing school administrators to adjust their web filtering policies as soon as over blocking is detected.
- Staff Access: Use CurrentWare’s Operator Accounts to provide staff with the ability to adjust their classroom’s web filtering policies without giving them access to other admin features
- Ease-of-Use: Once deployed adjusting student and computer web filtering policies is as easy as a few clicks, allowing IT staff to delegate the management of internet use policies with minimal support
- Custom Policies: Prevent young students from accessing inappropriate content while providing older students with more flexible access for legitimate research purposes
Advantageous Pricing for Education & Nonprofits
School districts are forced to do more with less. CurrentWare’s computer monitoring and web filtering for schools provides a cost-effective way to manage technology in your school network without straining budgetary needs.
- Education Discounts: To help manage EdTech costs, CurrentWare offers educational institutions 10% off of any of the products in the CurrentWare Suite.
- Bundled Solutions: CurrentWare’s classroom management solutions can be purchased individually for the greatest flexibility or as a full suite for the best value.
- Volume Licensing: Volume-based licensing provides advantageous pricing for schools with large quantities of devices that they need to monitor and restrict.
- Prepurchase Discounts: Pricing breaks are available for schools and libraries that sign up for multi-year plans, or have future growth planned and can commit to bulk orders.
Want a quote? Reach out to our sales team!
Internet Use Policy Template
Download this FREE internet use policy to set standards for acceptable internet usage in your organization.
- Disclose the organization’s intent to monitor internet use
- Communicate acceptable standards for technology use
- Describe your users' rights and responsibilities
Flexible Deployment Options
With CurrentWare’s user activity monitoring solutions you’re in complete control of how your data is stored, secured, and retained. Your employees' data cannot be accessed by CurrentWare.
Keep Control of Your Data
Install the management software on a standard computer, then deploy the client software to your users' computers
Monitor & Manage on Any Network
Connect your remote employees’ computers to the management software with simple port forwarding rules
Self-Managed Cloud & VDI
Citrix, Azure, AWS, GCP, and More!
Enjoy the scalability and availability of the cloud alongside the security, control, and flexibility of our on-premises solution
Get Advanced Activity Insights
BrowseReporter is a versatile employee monitoring software to track productivity and efficiency.
- Make informed decisions
- Enforce company policies
- Improve productivity
Block Harmful Websites
BrowseControl is an easy-to-use website blocking software for restricting internet access.
- Block URLs & categories
- Block unwanted apps
- Website allow & block lists
Stop Data Theft to USB Devices
AccessPatrol is USB control software to protect sensitive data against theft to portable storage devices.
- Block USB devices
- USB file activity alerts
- Block file transfers
We’re Here to Help
The CurrentWare team prides itself on its high-quality customer support. We will support you every step of the way—whether you’re just starting your free trial or actively using CurrentWare in your network.
At CurrentWare, customer success is our priority at every stage of your journey. We take pride in providing high-quality and reliable pre and post-sale support to make your experience exceptional.
We offer the same level of high-quality support to all of our customers—no extra fees or packages necessary!
Customer Support Lead
CurrentWare provides the documentation, training, and other resources you need to take full advantage of the capabilities of our products.
"As a 'novice' I was able to set up with help from support in about an hour. Previous software took forever and didn't work as advertised. This software worked right out of the box."
Dr. Gerard B, Office Manager
Medical Practice, 2-10 Employees
"This software was easy to install and customize to our needs. Category Filtering is such a time saver and of course saving time is saving money!"
Scott S, Senior Systems Engineer
Maritime Industry, 201-500 Employees
"BrowseControl is the best software for internet filtering. We can block specific websites and applications...[being able to] add and remove the restrictions instantly is a great feature. They have a great customer support to solve our queries."
Ajoob S, Engineer
Chemical Industry, 501-1000 Employees
In my nearly 40 years in the IT business I’ve worked with a lot of support teams. I really appreciate CurrentWare going the extra mile to help me get the most out of the product. They’ve definitely outweighed any of the other competitors that I’ve looked at.
Jerry Slocum, Managed Services Provider
Haggerty Auto Group, 150-200 Employees
User Activity Monitoring
Track web browsing, software use, search queries, and more
Take automatic screenshots or remotely view desktops
Track Software Usage
Get insights into software usage trends in your organization
Transparent & Stealth Modes
Run silently in the background or provide notice of monitoring
Block USB & Other Devices
Set full access, read only or no access on storage devices
Allow only authorized storage devices to be used
Block File Transfers
Prevent files from being transferred to portable storage
DLP Activity Reports
Track file transfers, storage device use, file operations, and more
Block websites based on
URLs & content categories
Prevent uploading and downloading based on file type
Block specific Windows
applications from launching
Manage all your users from the
centralized console with Active
Directory import or syncing
Protect your CurrentWare console
with 2FA, passwords, privilege
management, and more
Extend onsite security policies to any remote computer running outside the corporate network
SQL Server Supported
Database scaled for enterprise and
large business operations using
Microsoft SQL Server
Employee Monitoring Software Features to Improve Transparency & Respect Privacy
The best computer monitoring software provides the flexibility you need to monitor computer activity while respecting privacy expectations. Here are some of the best privacy and security enhancing features of CurrentWare.
Give your users access to their own computer activity data so they can see exactly what data is being captured and use it for their benefit.
Custom Data Retention
Automatically delete user activity data after a set period of time. Maintain auditable records of computer usage and time tracking for only as long as needed.
Monitoring Software Notifications
Periodically display a pop-up message to notify your users that their computer activity is being monitored. The notification's message can be customized.
Show in System Tray
Enable this feature to make the CurrentWare Client visible in the system tray of your users' computers.
Limit Access to User Data
Restrict access to user activity data with a password-protected console and unique data access permissions for each manager.
Schedule BrowseReporter’s computer tracking to only collect data during work time. Turn off monitoring during non-work hours and personal browsing periods.
Disable Computer Tracking
Take full control over what is being monitored with controls for choosing what is captured and excluding specific users from being monitored.
Admin Activity Logs
These audit logs help your security, auditing, and compliance teams answer “who did what, where, and when?” when it comes to configuration changes and data access within the CurrentWare Suite.
Computer Monitoring & Web Filtering for Schools FAQ
Does CurrentWare Have Access to My Student’s Data?
No, CurrentWare cannot access your employee’s computer monitoring data. CurrentWare’s software does not send your user’s computer usage data to CurrentWare. They are installed and managed by your organization.
With CurrentWare’s on-premises & self-managed cloud deployment options, you’re in complete control of your data.
- Sensitive employee data stays secured to your standards rather than being sent to a third party.
- Maintain data localization and residency compliance requirements by keeping employee data exactly where it needs to be.
- Retain auditable records of user activity for as long as you need
For more information please refer to our Terms of Service.
Will Students Be Able To Circumvent the Web Content Controls?
No. CurrentWare’s web filtering and computer monitoring software for schools has a software agent that is protected against tampering by the end-users.
- Stealth Mode: The CurrentWare agent cannot be found in the Control Panel’s program list on the student’s computer; it can be optionally shown in the system tray
- Anti-Tampering: CurrentWare cannot be uninstalled or stopped without administrator privileges
- Bypass Protection: The client agent is installed on the endpoint and cannot be bypassed using VPNs, anonymizers, proxy sites
Can I Allow Local Network Access While Preventing Access to Online Resources?
Yes. Simply set the internet to “off” in BrowseControl and add the authorized intranet sites to the Allow List using their hostname or IP address.
Can I Limit Web Use in Citrix, Remote Desktop, and/or Terminal Server Environments?
Yes. The CurrentWare Suite is supported on desktop computers, virtual machines (VMs), and servers running modern versions of the Windows operating system.
CurrentWare is a Citrix Ready partner; all of our solutions have gone through rigorous testing to ensure it is compatible with Citrix. You can install the CurrentWare Clients on your Citrix Workspace running Windows.
In addition, all CurrentWare components are compatible with Remote Desktop Services (RDS) or Terminal Servers (TS).
When restricting the web in Citrix with CurrentWare you can block a site on PC Mode to control the individual virtual machine or on User Mode to control specific employees across multiple devices and/or virtual machines.
Monitoring and managing employees in a Terminal Services environment works similarly.
The exception is that in a Terminal Server/Terminal Services environment the server will be registered as an individual endpoint; to apply granular policies for each user, department, or Organizational Unit you will need to use User Mode.
How Do I Limit Internet Use at a Certain Time?
BrowseControl includes three features to limit internet access based on time – internet quota limit, internet scheduler, and internet timer.
The Timer feature allows you to turn the internet on or off after a set time limit has elapsed. Once the timer has expired, the Internet settings will return to the previous Internet mode (ON/OFF or Schedule).
The Internet Scheduler allows you to set unique allow and block lists on a set schedule. This is typically used to allow employees or students access to unproductive sites during their breaks while restricting them during work periods.
The Internet Quota feature allows the administrator to control how long each user has access to the web on a daily basis. This allows them to browse the web throughout the day until their quota is reached. This feature is ideal for organizations with patrons that do not require ongoing access to the web.
Does CurrentWare Provide Cloud Based Web Filtering for Schools?
The CurrentWare Suite can be deployed on-premises or on a cloud platform of your choice. Both deployment option are compatible with remote device management with a few configuration changes.
Note: Rather than cloud based web filtering the CurrentWare Clients that are installed on your student’s device are what enforces the web filtering policies.
Will CurrentWare Track Student Web Browsing When They Use Private Browsing Modes or Delete Their Browsing History?
Yes. CurrentWare’s software client collects user activity data independent of the browser’s browsing history.
Internet browsing data will remain intact for use in reports and dashboards even if the user deletes their web browsing history in their browser or uses a private browsing function such as Incognito Mode On Google Chrome, Private Browsing On Mozilla Firefox, and InPrivate Browsing Window On Microsoft Edge.
Will CurrentWare Continue to Protect Students When They Take Their Devices Home?
Yes. The software client that is installed on the student’s computer has the ability to monitor computer activity and block websites even if it does not have a connection with the CurrentWare Server.
When your students disconnect from your network the client agent will store their activity data and internet use policies locally on the device. Once they reconnect to the network their data will be synced to the CurrentWare server.
Note: If you wish to get activity data from computers outside of the network they will need to be configured to communicate with the CurrentWare Server. Once a connection is reestablished you will receive your student’s computer usage data and any CurrentWare policy updates will take effect.
How is the CurrentWare Suite Secured?
CurrentWare is committed to the security of its platform, its users and their data.
- All of the data collected by CurrentWare’s solutions is stored in your organization’s data center or cloud service provider; the data is not sent to CurrentWare.
- The web console cannot be accessed without a username and password. For an added layer of authentication security you can enable two-factor authentication.
- You can selectively enable/disable what data is tracked and delete old records automatically.
For a complete overview of the security measures that CurrentWare has in place, check out the CurrentWare platform security overview page.
What Operating Systems Are Supported?
CurrentWare works on most computers running Windows operating systems on 32-bit or 64-bit platforms.
With the Web Console you can manage your administrative settings from any browser on any operating system within your network by default.
The server and clients must be installed and hosted from a Windows based operating system.
Learn More: CurrentWare System Requirements
Meet CIPA Compliance With CurrentWare
Easy to use computer monitoring and web filtering for schools and libraries