& many more
and many more
The Benefits of Blocking Websites With BrowseControl Website Blocker
Website blocking with BrowseControl gives you full control over internet and app usage in your organization.
BrowseControl’s client agent will keep track of the list of websites and apps you want to block for each group of users
or computers, ensuring it blocks across all of your managed devices.
Enforce Acceptable Computer Use Policies
- Policy Reminders: Redirect users from restricted websites to your internet use policy or a custom block page
- Block Websites: Prevent access to websites that go against your acceptable computer use policies
- Non-Compliance Alerts: Combine BrowseControl with BrowseReporter internet use monitoring software to get alerts of policy violations
Block Bandwidth Hogs to Improve Network Availability
- Block Bandwidth Hogs: Block Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and other unproductive bandwidth hogs
- Restrict Unproductive Sites: Reduce unproductive web browsing to ensure bandwidth availability for work tasks
- Discretionary Access: Selectively allow access to high-bandwidth sites on an as-needed basis
Reduce Distractions to Improve Employee Productivity
- Improve Focus: Block distracting websites and apps to keep your users focused on their tasks
- Custom Internet Policies: Apply different policies for group of users or computers to avoid bottlenecks
- Control Tech Use: Combine with BrowseReporter computer monitoring software for advanced awareness and control over technology usage
Protect Your Business From Compliance & Liability Risks
- Prevent Software Piracy: Use the app blocker to prevent employees from launching specific applications
- Block Inappropriate Content: Prevent users from accessing pornographic, hateful, or crude websites at work or school
- Meet Compliance Requirements: Control internet use to secure your network against web-based threats and data loss to cloud storage sites/apps
Protect Against Web Security Threats
- Download Blocker: Block file downloads such as executables, zipped files, and videos from the internet
- Internet Off: Block the entire internet from being browsed for specific computers or employees
- Malware Protection: Block malicious and high-risk websites with our frequently updated category filtering database
Prevent Data Theft & Leakage
- Cloud DLP: Block unsanctioned cloud storage apps and sites to prevent employee data theft
- Port Filtering: Block ports used for FTP, SCP, SFTP, etc. to prevent data from leaving the network
- Block High-Risk Sites: Block other potential data egress points such as personal email platforms, torrenting sites, etc
What Makes BrowseControl the Best Internet Blocker?
BrowseControl’s simplicity, flexibility, and affordability make it the best website blocker for businesses, schools, and libraries
Active Directory Integration
Manage your policies with your existing Active Directory OUs
- Sync your Active Directory Organizational Units to the CurrentWare Console
- Manage both AD and non-AD users in the same console
- Changes to your OUs automatically sync to the CurrentWare Console
Fair & Accessible Pricing
We offer fair prices and honest value to keep our products accessible to companies of all sizes
- BrowseControl starts at $3.99 USD per license/month
- Discounts are available for nonprofits, schools/libraries, MSPs/resellers, large volume purchases, and for organizations that pre-purchase multi-year plans
- Contact our sales team today for a custom quote
Central Management Console
Manage your entire workforce from the convenience of a web browser
- Granularly control what websites each group of computers/users can access
- Manage in-house and remote workers with central policy management
- Easily manage policies for your users, computers, and departments
Secure Internet for Remote & Hybrid Workers
Improve productivity & security—no matter where your team members work
- Policies are synced locally on each device to ensure your internet use policies are enforced on any network
- BrowseControl is verified Citrix Ready, making remote VDI deployments simple
- Policy updates are pushed to your remote workers from your own private CurrentWare Server
Simple & Granular Content Filtering
We keep our solutions simple and intuitive so you block websites with ease
- Block websites in just a few clicks
- Customize internet restrictions based on each user, computer, or workgroup
- Easily block websites for specific groups while allowing them for others
Custom Blocked Site Notifications
Let your users know why they aren’t allowed to access a blocked website
- Give a warning to users when they visit any websites that you want to block
- Allow users to request access to blocked websites
- Redirect users away from unwanted websites to your internet use policy
We’re Here to Help
The CurrentWare team prides itself on its high-quality customer support. We will support you every step of the way—whether you’re just starting your free trial or actively using CurrentWare in your network.
At CurrentWare, customer success is our priority at every stage of your journey. We take pride in providing high-quality and reliable pre and post-sale support to make your experience exceptional.
We offer the same level of high-quality support to all of our customers—no extra fees or packages necessary!
Customer Support Lead
CurrentWare provides the documentation, training, and other resources you need to take full advantage of the capabilities of our products.
"As a 'novice' I was able to set up with help from support in about an hour. Previous software took forever and didn't work as advertised. This software worked right out of the box."
Dr. Gerard B, Office Manager
Medical Practice, 2-10 Employees
"This software was easy to install and customize to our needs. Category Filtering is such a time saver and of course saving time is saving money!"
Scott S, Senior Systems Engineer
Maritime Industry, 201-500 Employees
"BrowseControl is the best software for internet filtering. We can block specific websites and applications...[being able to] add and remove the restrictions instantly is a great feature. They have a great customer support to solve our queries."
Ajoob S, Engineer
Chemical Industry, 501-1000 Employees
In my nearly 40 years in the IT business I’ve worked with a lot of support teams. I really appreciate CurrentWare going the extra mile to help me get the most out of the product. They’ve definitely outweighed any of the other competitors that I’ve looked at.
Jerry Slocum, Managed Services Provider
Haggerty Auto Group, 150-200 Employees
Internet Use Policy Template
Download this FREE internet use policy to set standards for acceptable internet usage in your organization.
- Disclose the organization’s intent to monitor internet use
- Communicate acceptable standards for technology use
- Describe your users' rights and responsibilities
Combine Website Blocking and Monitoring
for Enhanced Protection and Productivity
Block Websites and Apps
BrowseControl is both an application to block websites and a Windows app blocker, making it is the best website blocker for schools, libraries, and businesses.
- Block Websites: Block websites based on category, URL, domain, or IP address.
- Granular Policies: Customize internet restrictions for each user, device, or department.
- Block Apps: Add the apps you want to block to the app blocker to prevent the launching of distracting or high-risk apps.
Monitor Internet Use
BrowseReporter is the best employee monitoring software for tracking web use.
- Productivity Tracker: See how much time is spent on unproductive web browsing. What is considered productive can be customized to fit your needs.
- Monitor Web Usage: Get reports on words used in search engines, websites visited, and applications used.
- Reduce Distractions: Noisy data such as CDNs and advertisements are filtered out; the reports show genuine browsing behavior from company computers.
Manage Remote Devices
BrowseControl blocks apps, distractions, and high-risk sites no matter where your Windows devices are.
- Offsite Features: Use the offsite mode to continue restricting Windows devices when they leave the network.
- Browser Console: Remotely manage internet control policies through the web-based central management console.
- Local Cache: Updates to policies will sync with devices once they reconnect to the server.
Flexible Deployment Options
With CurrentWare’s user activity monitoring solutions you’re in complete control of how your data is stored, secured, and retained. Your employees' data cannot be accessed by CurrentWare.
Have Complete Control of Your Data
Install the management software on a standard computer, then deploy the client software to your users' computers
Monitor & Manage on Any Network
Connect your remote employees’ computers to the management software with simple port forwarding rules
Self-Managed Cloud & VDI
Citrix, Azure, AWS, GCP, and More!
Enjoy the scalability and availability of the cloud alongside the security, control, and flexibility of our on-premises solution
Shady Maple Transforms Their Productivity With Internet Filtering & Employee Computer Monitoring Software
“Being able to identify negative browsing trends and put a stop to them within a couple of hours has meant that our employees are focused on the job almost all of the time. We have become an extremely efficient workforce."
BrowseControl Web Filtering Features
How to Block Sites with BrowseControl
With BrowseControl, blocking websites is as easy as a few clicks. Website access permissions can be customized for your network based on the user or machine used to access the website, giving you a flexible solution for blocking websites across your network.
BrowseControl can provide an extension of your organization’s onsite internet usage policies to laptops and computers running outside the corporate network, giving you the option to block websites and enforce internet use policies for remote workers.
URL Filtering (Block List/Blacklist) —Block a Specific Site
This is how to block certain sites with BrowseControl.
Each website blocking mode in BrowseControl can block sites on a per-user group or per-device group level, allowing you to customize internet restrictions.
For example, you can allow your marketing department to access social media sites such as Facebook and Instagram while blocking it for the rest of your employees.
- Select the computer(s) or user(s) that you want to block from using a specific website
- Set “Internet” to “On” if it is not already on
- Go to “URL Filter”
- Add the domain URL (www.NameOfWebsiteToBlock.com) or IP addresses of the specific website you want to block for the chosen computer(s) and/or user(s). You can block as many sites as you want.
- Click “Apply to Clients” to save the blocked sites
Website Category Filtering—One Click to Block Thousands of Websites
Block websites based on content categories with BrowseControl’s category filtering feature.
More than 10,000 new domains are added each day, making it simple to block websites even as new sites emerge. Easily block distracting sites such as social media or inappropriate content such as pornography.
Unlike URL filtering where you manually block websites, with content restrictions you can restrict access based on predefined categories.
- Select the computer(s) or user(s) that you want to block from using a specific website
- Set “Internet” to “On” if it is not already on
- Go to “Category Filtering”
- Use the search bar to find the categories you want to block (e.g. “Social Media”) and add them to the Blocked Category List
Allowed List (Whitelist)—Allow Only Authorized Websites
With the Allowed List you can allow access to only certain sites or allow websites that would otherwise be blocked based on their content category.
For example, you could use Category Filtering to block websites in the Social Media category while still allowing access to LinkedIn.
- Select the computer(s) or user(s) that you would like to customize access restrictions for
- Set “Internet” to “Off”
- Go to “URL Filter”
- Add the URLs, domain, or IP addresses of the allowed websites to the Allowed List
Get Advanced Activity Insights
BrowseReporter is a versatile employee monitoring software to track productivity and efficiency.
- Make informed decisions
- Enforce company policies
- Improve productivity
Block Harmful Websites
BrowseControl is an easy-to-use website blocking software for restricting internet access.
- Block URLs & categories
- Block unwanted apps
- Website allow & block lists
Stop Data Theft to USB Devices
AccessPatrol is USB control software to protect sensitive data against theft to portable storage devices.
- Block USB devices
- USB file activity alerts
- Block file transfers
BrowseControl Website Blocking Software FAQ
Will CurrentWare Have Access to the Browser Usage Data of Our Company?
No. CurrentWare’s software does not send your browser or device usage data to CurrentWare.
All of the data collected by CurrentWare’s software is stored on a database that is managed by your organization.
For more information please refer to our Terms of Service.
Is BrowseControl Suitable For Families?
No. CurrentWare’s software solutions are designed for businesses, schools, libraries, and other organizations. In other words, they are not suitable for parents that want parental control software for their child.
- The minimum order quantity is 10 licenses, which may not be feasible for parents with a limited number of devices for their child.
- BrowseControl starts at $3.99 USD per license per month; while this is advantageous pricing for a business environment, it may be cost prohibitive for parents that simply want a parental control web filtering service.
- All of CurrentWare’s solutions are developed with a business or educational environment in mind. As such, our development is not focused on managing child web use in the way a dedicated parental control software would be.
For software solutions that are more suited to families, please see the Best Parental Control Software reviews from PCMag.
Will the Website Blocker Continue to Filter Distracting and High-Risk Sites When Devices Leave the Network?
Yes. The client agent installed on the computers has the ability to block distracting and dangerous websites even if it does not have a connection with the CurrentWare Server.
The client agent stores and enforces BrowseControl’s restriction policies locally on the device.
The last known policies will continue to be enforced even if the endpoint loses connection to your network’s CurrentWare Server. This ensures that your policies remain in effect regardless of the network your employees or students use.
Note: If you wish to update policies or receive reports from client agents outside of the network they will need to be able to communicate with the CurrentWare Server.
Once a connection is reestablished you will receive the CurrentWare Client’s PC usage data and any policy updates will take effect.
Can I Allow Local Network Access While Preventing Access to Online Resources?
Yes. Simply set the internet to “off” in BrowseControl and add the authorized intranet sites to the Allow List using their hostname or IP address.
Which Site Should I Block?
Depending on the goals of your company you will block different websites.
To help keep your employees productive you may choose to block any site that could be considered a distraction, such as Facebook or TikTok. To improve security you may use the content category filtering features to proactively block websites that are known to be dangerous.
Need some ideas of what distractions to add to your website block list? Click here for a list of websites to block at work.
Can I Limit Web Use in Citrix, Remote Desktop, and/or Terminal Server Environments?
Yes. The CurrentWare Suite is supported on desktop computers, virtual machines (VMs), and servers running modern versions of the Windows operating system.
CurrentWare is a Citrix Ready partner; all of our solutions have gone through rigorous testing to ensure it is compatible with Citrix. You can install the CurrentWare Clients on your Citrix Workspace running Windows.
In addition, all CurrentWare components are compatible with Remote Desktop Services (RDS) or Terminal Servers (TS).
When restricting the web in Citrix with CurrentWare you can block a site on PC Mode to control the individual virtual machine or on User Mode to control specific employees across multiple devices and/or virtual machines.
Monitoring and managing employees in a Terminal Services environment works similarly.
The exception is that in a Terminal Server/Terminal Services environment the server will be registered as an individual endpoint; to apply granular policies for each user, department, or Organizational Unit you will need to use User Mode.
How Do I Limit Internet Use at a Certain Time?
BrowseControl includes three features to limit internet access based on time – internet quota limit, internet scheduler, and internet timer.
The Timer feature allows you to turn the internet on or off after a set time limit has elapsed. Once the timer has expired, the Internet settings will return to the previous Internet mode (ON/OFF or Schedule).
The Internet Scheduler allows you to set unique allow and block lists on a set schedule. This is typically used to allow employees or students access to unproductive sites during their breaks while restricting them during work periods.
The Internet Quota feature allows the administrator to control how long each user has access to the web on a daily basis. This allows them to browse the web throughout the day until their quota is reached. This feature is ideal for organizations with patrons that do not require ongoing access to the web.
Will BrowseControl Work With My Proxy Server?
Yes, BrowseControl is compatible with other proxy servers on your network.
Learn More: How to Use BrowseControl With a Proxy Server
Is This a Cloud Product?
How is the CurrentWare Suite Secured?
CurrentWare is committed to the security of its platform, its users and their data.
- All of the data collected by CurrentWare’s solutions is stored in your organization’s data center or cloud service provider; the data is not sent to CurrentWare.
- The web console cannot be accessed without a username and password. For an added layer of authentication security you can enable two-factor authentication.
- You can selectively enable/disable what data is tracked and delete old records automatically.
For a complete overview of the security measures that CurrentWare has in place, check out the CurrentWare platform security overview page.