How to Block USB Drives with AccessPatrol USB Control Software
- Stop Data Theft to Portable Storage
Block unauthorized USB storage devices to limit illicit file transfers
- USB Activity Dashboards & Reports
Get advanced insights into peripheral device usage and file operations
- Centralized DLP Console
Configure USB control policies for your entire workforce from a web browser
& many more
and many more
Secure Data Against Insider Threats
What Makes AccessPatrol the Best USB Security Solution?
- Central Console: Configure USB blocking security policies for your entire workforce from the convenience of a central console. Access the console from a web browser on any computer in your network or configure remote access.
- Active Directory: Import your OUs directly into the console. Manage both AD and non-AD users and computers. Enable AD sync to automatically import new OUs and users/computers.
- Restrict File Transfers: Allow only authorized USB devices, then further restrict USB usage by limiting what filetypes can be transferred to removable media drives.
USB Monitoring & Forensics
AccessPatrol’s USB activity reports allow you to easily audit activity on USB ports in your organization. Get increased visibility into high-risk data transfers, frequency of USB ports usage, and more.
- USB File Tracing: Collect auditable records of file transfers through USB ports. Maintain timestamped evidence of files that have been Created, Copied, Deleted, Saved As, or Renamed to USB devices by each user.
- USB Auditing: Track employee USB port history for high-risk activity such as unauthorized file transfers, suspiciously large file transfers, and attempts to use blocked USBs.
- Activity Alerts: Get USB activity alerts sent straight to designated inboxes when high-risk activities and policy violations occur. Schedule reports to be regularly sent for review.
Protect sensitive data with AccessPatrol’s USB DLP solutions. Use the USB blocking features to limit the use of USB ports, storage devices, wireless connectivity, communication ports, imaging devices, and other peripherals.
- Custom Permissions: Implement unique access controls for each user, department, and endpoint. Set USB blocking permissions to read only, read/write, or no access.
- Authorize Devices: Limit the use of USB ports to specific company-approved devices. Simply add your whitelisted devices to AccessPatrol’s Allow List to always allow authorized USB drives to connect to your endpoints.
- Access Codes: Allow specific users to temporarily bypass USB port restriction policies with a device access code.
Viking Yachts Protects Sensitive Information From a Departing Employee
“CurrentWare saved us a lot of time and money. If we didn’t have AccessPatrol we would have never known what was going on. I cannot thank all of you enough for this software.”
Flexible Deployment Options
Improve Data Security in 3 Simple Steps
On the manager’s computer, install the CurrentWare Console
- Run the CurrentWare.exe setup file
- Ensure that AccessPatrol is selected
- The Installer will proceed to install the CurrentWare Server, CurrentWare Console, and AccessPatrol onto the computer
On the employees’ computers, install the CurrentWare Client
- Run the client setup file on your employee’s computers
- Connect your computers to the CurrentWare Server
- You can now block USBs & other peripherals on your computers
- Repeat step 1-3 on all computers
Return to the manager’s PC & launch the CurrentWare Console
- Click Device Permissions to configure USB blocking policies for each group of computers or users
- Select Allowed List to permit access to authorized USB devices
- Use the Device Reports to audit removable storage usage
This software helps us to achieve compliance with industry and government requirements with respect to controlling the use of removable storage media. It fits the bill perfectly.
Matthew W., Project Manager
Aviation & Aerospace Industry, 11-50 employees
[AccessPatrol] has been a great benefit to secure USB devices and access to company computers. We now have the ability to secure machines that otherwise would have been exposed to threats.
Jordan F., Senior IT Specialist
Machinery Industry, 1001-5000 employees
Data leaks have been thwarted by AccessPatrol. When an unauthorized device is detected, an email alert is sent immediately. It enables real-time audit reports on accessed and blocked devices.
Karen M., Senior Director of Marketing
Construction Industry, 10,001+ employees
We have experienced data leaks by dishonest employees in the past and AccessPatrol has helped us avoid them and work with greater security and peace of mind for us and our customers.
Julio V., Head of Information Technology
Financial Services Industry, 10,001+ employees
Removable Media Policy
Download this data security policy template to prevent data leakage to USB flash drives and other removable storage devices.
- Set data security standards for portable storage
- Define the acceptable use of removable media
- Inform your users about their security responsibilities
AccessPatrol’s USB Control Features
Manage all your users from the
centralized console with Active
Directory import or syncing
Protect your CurrentWare console
with 2FA, passwords, privilege
management, and more
Extend onsite Internet usage
policies to laptops running outside
the corporate network
SQL Server Supported
Database scaled for enterprise and
large business operations using
Microsoft SQL Server
Get Advanced Activity Insights
BrowseReporter is a versatile employee monitoring software to track productivity and efficiency.
- Make informed decisions
- Enforce company policies
- Improve productivity
Block Harmful Websites
BrowseControl is an easy-to-use website blocking software for restricting internet access.
- Block URLs & categories
- Block unwanted apps
- Website allow & block lists
Stop Data Theft to USB Devices
AccessPatrol is USB control software to protect sensitive data against theft to portable storage devices.
- Block USB devices
- USB file activity alerts
- Block file transfers
AccessPatrol Device Control FAQ
Can I Set Unique USB Restrictions for Different Computers or Users?
Yes. With AccessPatrol’s USB security features you can block or allow USB devices and other peripherals for each computer, user, department, or other organizational unit (OU) in your company.
To do this, AccessPatrol’s management console allows you to create group folders with separate policies. This feature is perfect to restrict USB devices for most employees while still providing access for trusted administrators that need unrestricted access.
You can also use the access code generator to temporarily grant access to all peripherals or use the device scheduler to automatically allow/block USB drives at specific times.
Are There Any Limits to the Free Trial?
The free trial of our USB security software is fully functional. You can deploy it on up to 10 computers for 14 days. If you need more time or more computers to properly evaluate AccessPatrol in your network, reach out to our support team.
Who Uses CurrentWare?
CurrentWare has a global client base across a variety of industries including government, healthcare, finance, nonprofit, and manufacturing.
CurrentWare’s customers use our computer monitoring, web filtering, and USB security software to protect their business against time theft, data leakage, and web-based threats.
Read our data loss prevention and USB security software customer case studies to learn more.
Can I Block Specific File Types from Being Transferred via USB Ports?
Yes. AccessPatrol can prevent your end-users from copying specific files to a USB flash drive. These USB file transfer restrictions can be configured based on the file name or file extension.
The data transfer blocking feature can also be used on devices that are on the allowed list. This lets you provide access to company-authorized USB drives while still protecting the data in your network against exfiltration to portable storage hardware.
Does Currentware Have Access to my Employee's Reports?
No, CurrentWare cannot access your employee’s computer monitoring data. CurrentWare’s software does not send your user’s computer usage data to CurrentWare. They are installed and managed by your organization.
All of the data collected by CurrentWare’s software is stored on a database that is installed in your organization’s data center or cloud service provider.
With CurrentWare’s on-premises & self-managed cloud deployment options, you’re in complete control of your data.
- Sensitive employee data stays secured to your standards rather than being sent to a third party.
- Maintain data localization and residency compliance requirements by keeping employee data exactly where it needs to be.
- Retain auditable records of user activity for as long as you need
For more information please refer to our Terms of Service.
Is This a Cloud Solution?
No, our USB port security software are not cloud-native. At this time AccessPatrol will continue to be offered for on-premises deployments, however, you can install CurrentWare’s software on a cloud platform of your choice with our Self-Hosted Cloud Option.
CurrentWare will not have access to your employee’s data. All of the data collected by CurrentWare’s employee monitoring and endpoint security solutions are stored on a database that is fully controlled and managed by your organization. For more information please refer to our Terms of Service
Can I Restrict and Monitor USB Activities in Citrix, Remote Desktop, and/or Windows Terminal Server Environments?
Yes. CurrentWare is a certified Citrix Ready Partner.
The CurrentWare Suite (AccessPatrol, BrowseControl, BrowseReporter, and enPowerManager) is supported on desktop computers, virtual machines (VMs), and servers running modern versions of the Windows OS.
You can install the CurrentWare Clients on your Citrix Workspace running Windows. In addition, all CurrentWare components are compatible with Remote Desktop Services (RDS) or Terminal Servers (TS).
When controlling USB port permissions in Citrix with CurrentWare you can block USBs on PC Mode to restrict the individual virtual machine or on User Mode to restrict peripherals for specific users across multiple computers and/or virtual machines.
Monitoring and managing your end-users with CurrentWare in a Terminal Services environment works similarly. The exception is that in a Terminal Server/Terminal Services environment the server will be registered as an individual endpoint; to apply granular policies for each user, department, or Organizational Unit you will need to use User Mode.
CurrentWare for Remote Desktop & Terminal Server
CurrentWare for Citrix Activity Monitoring
Which Peripherals Can I Restrict With AccessPatrol?
AccessPatrol allows you to control the following peripheral devices on your users’ computers.
|Devices You Can Control||Access Permissions|
|USB||Full / Read only / No access|
|DVD /CD||Full / Read only / No access|
|Floppy||Full / Read only / No access|
|Tape||Full / Read only / No access|
|External Hard drive||Full / Read only / No access|
|Firewire||Full / Read only / No access|
|SD Card||Full / Read only / No access|
|MM Card||Full / Read only / No access|
|Bluetooth||Full / No access|
|Infrared||Full / No access|
|Wifi||Full / No access|
|Serial||Full / No access|
|Parallel||Full / No access|
|Scanners||Full / No access|
|Cameras, Webcams & Others||Full / No access|
|Printers||Full / No access|
|USB Ethernet Adapter||Full / No access|
|Sound Cards||Full / No access|
|Portable Hardware (iPhones, Mobile Devices)||Full / No access|
|Network Share||Full / No access|
Learn More:USB Restriction with AccessPatrol
Can I Use AccessPatrol for My Remote Team?
Yes. CurrentWare’s endpoint protection software solutions support a variety of deployment options that allow you to disable USB drives no matter where your employees work.
To learn more about increasing the security of remote workers with our security software, visit this article: How to Set Up USB Security Software for Remote Teams
Will My Employees Know Their Computers Are Being Monitored?
As with any CurrentWare Suite product, your organization determines how visible the software is.
AccessPatrol does not disclose when its USB activity monitoring feature is active. When your employees attempt to use an unauthorized USB hardware they can be presented with an optional warning message.
The CurrentWare software client that is used by our USB security software operates in stealth mode by default.
In stealth mode, the CurrentWare software client is not visible in the system tray or control panel of the employee’s computer. Your employee will not be able to uninstall the program or stop it without administrator privileges.
If you would like your employees to be aware that they are being monitored, you can choose to show the CurrentWare software client by enabling it in the client software settings.
If you would like to disable monitoring altogether, visit this article: How Do I Disable AccessPatrol’s USB Tracking?
How Can I Get Started With USB Protection in my Network?
- Download & Install AccessPatrol
Download the files for your free USB security software trial. On the administrator’s computer, run CurrentWare.exe to begin the installation of the endpoint security software.
- Deploy the Software Clients
Deploy the CurrentWare software client (cwClientSetup.exe) on all the computers you want to restrict with our endpoint security solutions. You can deploy the software client with a local install or by using Active Directory, SCCM, or our built-in remote deployment tool.
- Monitor Your Employees & Restrict USB Hardware
After the installation, you will see all of your employee’s computers on the CurrentWare Console. From this console, you can run detailed reports on all of your employees’ USB activities and use AccessPatrol’s USB security features to protect data against insider security threats.
Try AccessPatrol for Free
Fully functional. Easy to use. Install in minutes.