How to Track Software License Usage
Track software license usage with BrowseReporter, a powerful computer tracking software that collects data about employee application and internet usage.
Monitor Internet Activity
Software Utilization Tracking
Remote Screen Capture
Automated Email Reports
Work from Home
& many more
Employee Computer Activity Dashboards & Reports
BrowseReporter’s user activity dashboards and computer usage reports give you the insights you need to identify productivity leaks, detect excessive bandwidth usage, reduce software costs, and improve business intelligence.
User Activity Dashboards
- Use the collected data to review aggregated results of your entire workforce or drill down to individual users
- Select the date range and activities you want to populate the dashboard with
- Use the activity log to review raw data; add/remove columns, sort data, and export to .XLSX or .PDF
Track Productive vs Unproductive Time
- View time spent on productive vs unproductive web browsing & app use
- Customize to what is considered productive in your organization
- Compare trends in aggregated & individual productivity over time
- Use IP-based location tracking to compare productivity levels between time spent in-office vs time spent working remotely
Idle Time Tracking
- Find out when remote employees are idling for too long or spending too much of their working hours on non-work related activities
- Customize idle time based on the last keyboard/mouse inputs
- Discover which departments or employees are the most active
- Detect bandwidth-hogging websites on your network
- Review bandwidth usage trends to inform network capacity planning
- See which individual users or groups have the greatest bandwidth usage
Track Website & Application Usage
- Detect the use of unauthorized software applications
- Track which apps & sites employees use solo, as a team, or as a company
- Determine software adoption rates with usage data for apps and SaaS sites
Take Screenshots Of Your Employees’ Desktops
- Capture high-resolution and compressed screenshots of your employee’s desktops to see exactly what they're doing on their computers.
- The employee screenshot monitoring software feature can be configured to automatically delete older screenshots to reduce storage requirements
- Screenshots are tagged with the website or application that was being used, the time, and the name of the computer that was captured
Try BrowseReporter for Free
Fully functional. Easy to use. Install in minutes.
The reporting feature offers accurate insights on internet activities in order to ensure compliance & organization policies are met. The offsite management feature makes it easy to monitor those working from home.
Carroline Achieng O., Sales Consultant
Absa Life Assurance, 10,001+ Employees
BrowseReporter is simple to use and provides our company with the information we were looking for. Having BrowseReporter installed has prevented any internet abuse. This was exactly what we wanted!
Denise P., IT Manager
Paper & Forest Products, 51-200 Employees
BrowseReporter allows us to better control the activities of our remote employees, which are growing in number due to our transformation policy. It prevents irregular practices that go against our company's basic labor standards.
Kilmer M., Senior Director of Advertising
Financial Services Company, 51-200 Employees
BrowseReporter is an extremely useful piece of software for monitoring our employees' devices while they are at work. It enables us to view data in real time, conduct detailed analyses of each employee's activities, and improve productivity where necessary.
Sebastian P., Chief Marketing and Customer Experience Officer
Retail, 10,001+ Employees
The Benefits of Software Utilization Tracking with BrowseReporter
- Reduce SaaS Spend: Avoid being billed for more Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) licenses than your business actually needs.
- Improve Productivity: See how often your employees actually use critical software solutions to reduce downtime caused by under licensing.
- Avoid Over Licensing: Don’t buy more licenses than your organization truly needs. Application usage data shows you what your employees really need.
Software Application Utilization Reports
Intuitive and Comprehensive Software Usage Data
BrowseReporter makes tracking software license usage possible with its easy-to-use reporting utility and dashboards. At a glance you can review the software usage of your employees including timestamps of the applications they use each day, how frequently they use specific applications, and their most used applications.
View your employee tracking reports as a general summary for quick overviews, or switch to the detailed view for further insight. You can customize the data presented in your reports based on date, users, computers, and specific applications.
Why Track Software Usage?
Optimize Software Spending
- Mitigate app sprawl with genuine software usage data
- Reallocate unused software licenses to other users
- Use real data to inform the procurement of new licenses
Reduce Corporate Risk
- Ensure that application usage is in compliance with EULAs
- Detect the use of unlicensed or illegal software programs
- Protect your business against unauthorized shadow IT
Manage Employee Productivity
- Identify users that are abusing unproductive software
- Differentiate between active and inactive software usage
- Ensure that enough licenses are available for employees
The Benefits of Tracking Application Usage
Cast Light on Shadow IT
Shadow IT – also known as Stealth IT, Client IT, or Fake IT – is any system, solution, or software that’s used by the employees of an organization without the knowledge and approval of the corporate IT department.
BrowseReporter’s software usage reports lets you track software license usage based on computers, users, and workgroups such as organizational units (OUs) in Active Directory. It bolsters your software asset management program by showing you all of the programs that are currently being used by your organization, including those that have not been officially adopted.
With a clear picture of the software being used in your organization you will know which high-risk applications to block and what capabilities your workforce needs to be provided with.
Avoid Wasting Money on Unused Software
Make data-informed software procurement decisions with the help of genuine insights into the application usage of your employees. Track software license usage to determine whether you need to purchase new licenses for your current solutions or decommission underutilized software.
BrowseReporter’s employee computer activity reports demonstrate how often software solutions are being used, how long they are being used for, and which employees are genuinely using them.
Internet usage reports allow you to identify how often online subscription-based accounts are being accessed so you can more effectively determine SaaS utilization levels in your organization.
Protect Your Business Against Piracy in the Workplace
A failed software compliance audit can cost your organization as much as $150,000 in fines per violation. Your corporate risk management strategy needs to include preventative measures against piracy in the workplace.
Protect your business against failed compliance audits by tracking software license usage with BrowseReporter. Detect the usage of pirated or improperly licensed software to ensure that your organization is compliant with software license allowances.
Try BrowseReporter for Free
Fully functional. Easy to use. Install in minutes.
Flexible Deployment Options
On-Premises | Remote Workers | Self-Managed Cloud Platforms
When you use CurrentWare products the data you collect remains solely in your control, giving you the flexibility to decide where data is stored and for how long. Your employee’s data cannot be accessed by CurrentWare.
Download the Free Trial
Get started today with a free fully-functional 14-day trial of the CurrentWare Suite. No credit card required to sign up!
Deploy the Software
Install the Console & Server on a computer, server, or a cloud platform of your choice. Then deploy the Clients to your users’ computers.
Manage your Users
Organize your PCs/Users into custom policy groups. Get advanced awareness & control over how technology is used in your organization.
How To Get Started With Software Asset Management
Audit Existing Software Usage
To start, you need to have a thorough understanding of all of the software currently being used by your business.
You will need to catalogue the existing licenses your company has, make note of ongoing software expenses, and track software license usage to determine whether or not the existing solutions are being sufficiently used.
Audit software procurement history for existing licenses
Track software use to determine current utilization and detect the use of undocumented software
Monitor employee web activity for the use of SaaS platforms
Categorize existing software and consolidate any redundant solutions
Make note of any upcoming renewal dates such as monthly/annual subscriptions or vendor-specific maintenance plans
Track & Control Software Use (Software Metering)
The goal of software metering is to ensure that license limits are enforced and that licenses are available for each user that needs one.
This practice can be further split into two major categories: passive software metering and active software metering.
Passive software metering: Application use is monitored to track software license usage but users are not actively denied access to the software. This provides natural user activity insights that can help determine the amount of licenses needed.
Active software metering: Application use is monitored and access can be denied based on a given set of parameters. For example, an organization with a limited amount of licenses could schedule application permissions to limit the amount of users that can access the software at a given time.
Facts About Software License Usage
Underutilized software cost businesses in the US and UK an estimated $34 billion per year (1E Software Usage and Waste Report 2016)
As much as 38% of enterprise software is underutilized or simply not being used at all (1E Software Usage and Waste Report 2016)
Approximately 40% of software used in businesses is illegally copied. Penalties for software piracy can be as much as $150,000 per infringement. (Business Software Alliance)
68% of organizations can expect to receive an external software audit, such as a vendor license compliance audit. (Gartner Research)
Try CurrentWare’s Software Usage Tracking Software for Free
Employee and Computer Monitoring Features
Try CurrentWare’s Software Usage Monitoring Software for Free