Welcome to the CurrentWare Quick Start Guide.
There are two components you need to install to get CurrentWare running on your network.
- CurrentWare Server and Console
- CurrentWare Clients
1. Installing the CurrentWare Server & Console
Pick a computer to install the CurrentWare Server/Console on. Usually, this is installed on a person’s computer that is responsible for managing the other computers on the network.
Recommended install locations:
- A company’s server
- A manager’s computer
Note: for companies installing CurrentWare on more than 300 computers, we recommend installing and connecting SQL Server as the database.
- Run the CurrentWare.exe setup file
- Accept the terms in the License Agreement
- Select the CurrentWare Solutions you want to install.
- AccessPatrol: Block USB and external devices
- BrowseControl: Web Filter and Application Blocking
- BrowseReporter: Internet Activity Tracking
- enPowerManager: Remote Power Management
- The Installer will proceed to install the CurrentWare Server, Console, and the solutions onto your computer
Next Step: Obtain your cwServer computer name for the client install
Go to Start menu > type in CMD and press the enter key to launch the command prompt. In command prompt, type in Hostname. This will display the computer name of your CurrentWare Server. Write this down, you will need to for the client install.
2. Installing the CurrentWare Client
The CurrentWare Client is required to be installed on the computers you want to manage. There are three methods to install the CurrentWare Clients.
Install Method #1 – Run the cwClientSetup.exe Setup File Locally
This is the easiest and most straight-forward method to install the CurrentWare Client.
Take the CurrentWare Client setup file from your CurrentWare Server computer and run it locally on each computer you want to manage. You may want to put the setup file on a USB key or on your network drive for easy access.
The cwClientSetup.exe setup file is located in the following directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\CurrentWare\cwClient\cwClientSetup.exe
Run the cwClientSetup.exe to begin your installation.
CurrentWare Server Name: The installer will ask you for the IP address or computer name of the CurrentWare Server to establish a connection. Make sure you have this information handy during the Client installation.
Client Password: You may change the CurrentWare Client password during the installation (the default CurrentWare Client password is Admin).
After the CurrentWare Client is installed, it will connect to your CurrentWare Serverand show up on the computer list.
Install Method #2 – Remote Client Install
Important! Windows Firewall and User Access Control (UAC) must be disabled on your target computers.
The Remote Client install is a built-in feature of the CurrentWare Console.
You can open the Remote Client Install window from Install > Remote Client Install.
The computer name of your CurrentWare Server is filled out automatically.
Important! the option “Reboot Client systems after installation” will restart your client computer after the remote install. Uncheck this option if you prefer not to restart the computers.
Add the computer name or IP address of the computers you want to install the CurrentWare Clients on.
Put in the Administrator name and password for the target computer. This could be the local administrator account or the domain administrator account.
Click Finish to complete the installation.
After the CurrentWare Client is installed, it will connect to your CurrentWare Console and show up on the computer list.
Having trouble with Remote Client Install? Check out the Troubleshooting Tips for Remote Client Install guide
Install Method #3 – Command Line Deployment
For installs involving a large number of client computers, you can use this CurrentWare Client Install command line to perform the installation.
Z:\cwClientSetup.exe /qn ALLUSERS=1 USERPARAMS="-p Admin -ds 192.168.1.205" /norestart
Replace the values that are bolded in the command line.
- Replace Z:\ with the network location of your cwClientSetup.exe file.
- Replace the value after -ds with your CurrentWare Server IP Address or Computer Name
- /qn: Install the CurrentWare Client in Quiet mode
- /norestart: the computer will not restart after the install
Install Method #4 – Active Directory Client Deployment
- Deployment of the CurrentWare Client using Active Directory
- Deployment of the CurrentWare Client in AD using Batch File
If you have further issues with your CurrentWare Solutions, contact our technical support team.
Don't have CurentWare Installed? Download & Get started with a free trial!