NOTE: CurrentWare Gateway has been discontinued
As of April 2021 CurrentWare Gateway has reached End-of-Life. It is no longer offered for sale and there will be no new developments to the product. The best alternative to CurrentWare Gateway is BrowseControl web filtering software and BrowseReporter employee computer monitoring software.
Gateway web filtering alternative: BrowseControl
- Block websites based on URL, IP Address, or category
- Use allowed lists and blocked lists to customize internet restrictions
- Block Windows applications, network ports, and more
Gateway internet monitoring alternative: BrowseReporter
- Get reports on employee internet activities
- Track application usage, bandwidth consumption, websites visited, and more
- Get reports sent to your inbox on a set schedule or when specific browsing behaviors occur
CurrentWare Gateway was a web filtering Gateway that sits between your Internet and your local area network. It filters all the Internet traffic from your router before it reaches the devices on your network.
On this page, you will learn how to install and use the CurrentWare Gateway.
- Run the CurrentWareGateway.exe file on the CurrentWare Gateway computer
- The installer checks if the pre-requisite components are installed and automatically install the missing components.
- Click Install to start the installation of the CurrentWare Gateway
- After the CurrentWare Gateway is installed, The Internet Connection Sharing Wizard will pop up automatically to help you set up for the first time
- After choosing the correct IP addresses, click Enable ICS.
- At the CurrentWare Gateway License Wizard screen, you may enter your product key or select Evaluation to try out Gateway for 14 days with 10 licenses.
Note: In order to identify each wireless device individually in the Gateway console, you must disable DHCP in the router that they are connecting to, and ensure the Ethernet connection is made to the LAN port of that router.
Identifying Employee Smartphones on the Network
As smartphones connect to the wireless network that is provided through the Gateway, you will see a message letting you know that a new device has connected.
After clicking the refresh button, you will see the device populate in the “Root” group.
Enforce internet policies to block internet access on Smartphones
On the Manage page, create a new group that will contain all the smartphones that you want to apply this policy to. Move any device that you require into this group. In the screenshot below, I have named my new group “Smartphones”.
On the Policies page, click “Add Policy”.
Under Policy Name, specify a name for this policy. Ex. “Smartphone Internet Policy”
Select the group you want to apply this policy to.
Select any categories of websites that you want to restrict under this policy by making selections under the “Blocked Categories” section.
Add any websites that you want to block outright to the “Always Block” list.
Add any exceptions that you want to allow to the “Always Allow” list.
Select the restriction level for downloading file types in the file type blocking window.
Save the policy and you’re done!
Any Smartphones that are listed in the group called “Smartphones” will now be restricted by the “Smartphone Internet Policy” that you’ve just created.