Welcome to the SQL Express Database Installation and Setup page.
Benefits of using a SQL Database with the cwServer are an increase in overall performance and stability of client connections. Here are the steps to download, setup and configure your own SQL Express server with Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
- Install SQL Express
- Install SQL Server Management Studio
- Setting up your SA (Server Administrator) account in SSMS for CurrentWare
- Changing Authentication to Mixed Mode (SQL and Windows Authentication)
- Add the sqlsvr.exe into Window’s Firewall Inbound Rule list
- SQL Server Network Configuration Settings
- Connecting CurrentWare to my newly setup SQL Server
Install SQL Express
To get started you must download SQL Express. Download the free version of SQL Express from the following link: SQL Express Server
Once you open the Installer choose basic and follow the steps of the installer.
Once you get to the end of the SQL Server Express installation it will prompt you to install SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio). You need to install this to manage your SQL Server.
Install SQL Server Management Studio
Find the download for SQL Server Management Studio here: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
Open and run the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio installer.
Follow the installation steps. After installing SQL Server Management Studio you need to restart your PC/Server.
Setting up your SA (Server Administrator) account in SSMS for CurrentWare
- Open SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio)
- Hit the “Connect Button”
- Go to Security > Logins on the left side in the Object Explorer
- Double click “sa” account
- In General change the password to something easy that you wont forget and turn off password policy. An example would be “password”.
- Go to Status within the Login Properties of the sa account
- Change Login to Enabled
Changing Authentication to Mixed Mode (SQL and Windows Authentication)
CurrentWare uses SQL Server authentication instead of Windows authentication. When setting up SQL express for the first time, make sure you select “Mixed Mode (SQL Server and Windows authentication)”. Without this, you won’t be able to connect your cwServer to your SQL server.
- Right click your SQLEXPRESS Server from the Object Explorer Panel
- Go to properties > Security
- Change server authentication to “SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode”
- Hit OK. You should be prompted to restart your SQL Server
- Right click your SQLExpress Server from the Object Explorer Panel and “Restart” it
Add the sqlsvr.exe into Window’s Firewall Inbound Rule list
- Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall > Advanced Settings
- Right click on Inbound Rule and select New Rule…
- For Rule Type, select Program and click Next
- For Program, browse to your SQL Server installed path and select sqlservr.exe
- For Action, select Allow the connection and click Next.
- For Profile, leave all 3 profiles checked.
- Enter the name as “CurrentWare SQL” and click Finish.
SQL Server Network Configuration Settings
- Open the SQL Server Configuration Manager
- Ensure that the SQL Server Browser service is running and the start mode is set to
3. Under SQL Native Client Configuration > Client Protocols, ensure TCP/IP is enabled.
- Right click on TCP/IP and select Properties.
- Ensure the Default Port is 1433
- Under SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for MSSQLSERVER, right click on TCP/IP and select Properties
- Click on the IP addresses tab and ensure the TCP Dynamic Ports is set to 0
Connecting CurrentWare to my newly setup SQL Server
- Fresh Installation of CurrentWare
- Migrate Firebird Database to a SQL Database
Fresh installation of CurrentWare
- Run the CurrentWare Installer
- Continue through the installation until you are prompted to select your Database Server Selection.
- Choose the proper SQL Server and use the previously setup “sa” SQL account and password.
- Choose your solutions
Next through until the installation until you are prompted to finish and the CurrentWare Console opens. You should be able to see that you have a new database created in your SQL Server Management Studio.
Congratulations! Your CurrentWare SQL Database is created and setup.
Migrate Firebird Database to a SQL Database
If you’ve previously been using CurrentWare with a Firebird server, you can easily migrate your data to a SQL Server: Migrate CurrentWare Firebird Database to CurrentWare SQL Database
If you have further issues with your CurrentWare Solutions, contact our technical support team.
Don't have CurentWare Installed? Download & Get started with a free trial!