This article will show you how to migrate your CurrentWare Firebird database to SQL database
Prerequisite: you must have a SQL server installed on your computer or on your network. If you don’t have SQL Server, learn how to Install SQL Express (free edition) on your computer.
Note: this is a unidirectional database migration. Once you migrate your data to the new SQL database, there is no way to migrate back to Firebird.
- Launch the CurrentWare Server Manager from C:\Program Files (x86)\CurrentWare\cwServer\CWSM.exe.
- Go to Database > Selection.
- Fill out your SQL configurations
- If CWSM fails in creating the CWNPSQL database, make sure your SQL Server doesn’t already have a database with that name. Click on the Edit button and use a different database name.
- Once a new SQL database is created successfully, you will be prompted to migrate your Firebird database to SQL.
- Click Yes to launch the CurrentWare Data Migration Utility
- The migration utility will migrate all of your CurrentWare Settings (i.e. client settings, console settings, etc) and you can choose which solution data to migrate.
- By default, the migration tool will migrate data from the last 3 months. Change the Tracking Period if you want to migrate more data.
- Click Start to begin the migration. The process will take up to 1 hour to complete if you have a database between 500MB to 1GB. Data migration will take some time with large databases. Do not close the tool while the migration is happening. If you do, the SQL database might get corrupted and you’ll have to create a new database and perform the migration again.
Manually launch the CurrentWare Data Migration Utility
If the initial database migration failed or closed unexpectedly, you can launch the migration tool from the following location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\CurrentWare\cwServer\CWDBMigration.exe
Once the migration begins, the tool will create a new database on your SQL database and copy the data from your existing Firebird database. The data on the Firebird database will not be deleted. You can use it as a backup. Keep in mind that no new data will be added to the Firebird database. All the new data will be written on your migrated SQL database.
Data migration will take some time with large databases. Do not close the tool while the migration is happening. If you do, the SQL database might get corrupted and you’ll have to create a new database and perform the migration again.