Note: CurrentWare is compatible with Windows 11
CurrentWare works on most computers running Windows operating systems on 32-bit or 64-bit platforms. With the Web Console you can manage your administrative settings from any browser on any operating system within your network by default. The server and clients must be installed and hosted from a Microsoft based operating system.
Server Hardware Requirements
All components of CurrentWare are supported on desktop computers and server computers with the following specifications:
|Number of clients||Minimum Recommended Hardware Specifications for Server|
|1-100||Processor: Intel Core i3/ AMD Ryzen 3 or better|
Memory: At least 4GB of RAM
Disk Space: 10 GB of free space
|100-500||Processor: Intel Core i5 / AMD Ryzen 5 or better|
Memory: 8 – 16 GB RAM
Disk Space: 10-15 GB of free space
|500-1000||Processor: Intel Core i5 / AMD Ryzen 5 or better|
Memory: 16 GB or above
Disk Space: 10-20 GB of free space – Full SQL Recommended
|1000+||Processor: Intel Core i7 / AMD Ryzen 7 or better|
Memory: 32 GB or above
Disk Space: Over 25-50 GB of free space – Full SQL Recommended
CurrentWare Client Footprint
The CurrentWare Client can be installed on your computers remotely and silently. It is lightweight and requires minimal system requirements to run. It runs discreetly and its impact on performance is minimal.
The CurrentWare Client tracks computer activities and stores the data locally. The data is uploaded to the CurrentWare server every few minutes.
- Total installed file size of the CurrentWare Client is less than 15 MB.
- Total CPU memory usage is between 12-15 MB.
- Total local data storage is less than 1 MB.
- Total daily average data collected from the CurrentWare Client is less than 1 MB.
CurrentWare is supported on local or cloud based desktop computers, virtual machines (VMs) and servers with the following operating system specifications:
|CurrentWare Server||CurrentWare Clients|
- All CurrentWare components are compatible with Remote Desktop Services (RDS) or Terminal Servers (TS).
- It is not recommended to install CurrentWare on the same server as any Domain Controller, Exchange or WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) IIS pages or application pools.
CurrentWare runs on SQL database and supports the following versions:
- SQL Server 2019
- SQL Server 2017
- SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server 2012
SQL Server Express: CurrentWare also supports SQL Server Express, which is the free version of SQL Server. It comes prepackaged with the CurrentWare Server installer. There is a 10 GB limit for SQL Express. To maintain your database to stay under the limit see this article: Database Maintenance
All of the following network ports must be opened on your firewall of the machine hosting the CurrentWare server. If you are connecting your client computers from outside your network, you will need to configure port forwarding on your router.
- 8990 TCP/UDP – Console Connection Port
- 8991 TCP/UDP – Client Connection Port
- 8992 TCP/UDP – Client Data Upload
- 8993 TCP/UDP – Screenshots Upload
- 8994 TCP/UDP – HTTPS Filtering
- 8995 TCP/UDP – URL Retrieval Socket
- 8996 TCP/UDP – Webservice Port
- 8997 TCP/UDP – Rest API
- 8998 TCP/UDP – Web Console
- 8999 TCP/UDP –URL Retrieval Socket Failover
- 1024 TCP/UDP – Remote Screen Capture
- 443 TCP/UDP – For Port Forward setup only
Optional Database ports – Used as Failover ports
- 1433 TCP/UDP – SQL Database
- 1434 TCP/UDP – SQL Database
CurrentWare is compatible with the following browsers for filtering and monitoring Internet activities. You can also access the CurrentWare Web Console from any browser.
- Web Filtering: All updated modern Internet browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge Chromium, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Opera
- Internet Monitoring: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge Chromium, Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Do you support Virtual Machines?
Yes, the CurrentWare Server and Clients can be installed on local or cloud-based virtual machines running Windows. CurrentWare is compatible with the following virtual machines:
- Oracle VM
Do you support Citrix?
Yes, CurrentWare is verified to be Citrix Ready for Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops service (XenApp & XenDesktop service). You can install the CurrentWare Clients on your Citrix Workspace running Windows.
Do you support Windows 10/11 Kiosk mode?
No, CurrentWare is a service that needs to run in the background. When put in Kiosk mode the PC locks up the services outside of the necessary services to run the edge browser.