First of all, before you move your server, let's back up your existing CurrentWare databases. The database is located on your server under the following directory:
C:\Program Files\CurrentWare\cwServer\CWNPFB#2 Change your CurrentWare Client password (optional)
It is very important that you have the correct CurrentWare Client password before you move your server. Having the correct password will avoid many configuration issues during your move and save you a lot of time.
For this reason, it is recommended that you change the client password before you upgrade and move your server (you don’t need your old password to change the new password). This way, you can validate that the client password is correct.
- Go to the CurrentWare Console.
- Make sure your computer are connected. The password change will only apply to computers that are connected.
- Do this for each folder that you have:
- Click on the folder
- Click on Tools > Client Settings
- Put in the “New password” and “Confirm password”
- Click OK.
- The CurrentWare Client password will be changed
#3 Fresh install of the CurrentWare Server on the new server
It is now time to perform a fresh install of the Server and Console on the new machine. Once the installation is completed, transfer the existing database from the old computer to the new computer.
Note: Make sure you are installing the same version as the old server. If there is a version conflict between the new install and the database, the CurrentWare Server service won’t start. If you need a setup file, contact technical support.
You will need to turn off the service in order to overwrite the database file on the new computer. Go to start menu > run > services.msc > stop the CurrentWare Server. After the databases are put in place, start the server service. Your server and console are now ready.
If the CurrentWare Server service won’t start, there’s a chance that this is caused by a version conflict. You can contact our technical support team to help you convert your database to the correct version.#4 Redirect the CurrentWare Clients from the CurrentWare Console
The clients are still pointing to the old server, to make them all point to the new server, you need to redirect them.
- Launch the CurrentWare Console
- Go to Tools > Redirect Clients.
- Type in the Client password (default password is Admin) and select redirect all clients.
- After you press Ok, your clients will start to connect to the console.
- If your clients are not connecting, try again. But this time, enable the option “redirect connected clients.
If your clients are not connecting to the console even after you redirected them in the previous steps, you can try to manually connect them to the server.
- Go to the client workstation.
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\ or C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (depending on which operating systems you have installed)
- Double click on cwagent.exe.
- Put in the client password (default password is Admin)
- Click on Server Settings and modify the Server name to the IP address (or computer name) of the new CurrentWare Server.