Note: This guide is only for CurrentWare connecting to a Firebird Database. Running SQL Database with CurrentWare? Read this guide instead
Connecting the CurrentWare Clients (Remote workers)
To connect your CurrentWare Clients to the CurrentWare Server over the Internet, you will need to port forward the CurrentWare traffic from your network’s router to the CurrentWare Server computer.
#1 – Configure your CurrentWare Server to Receive Port Forwarding Traffic
First, you will need to set up your CurrentWare Server on a network that has a Public Static IP address (obtained from your Internet service provider).
Then, you will need to configure your router’s setting. On your router’s configuration page, go to the Port Forwarding Settings
Forward the following port traffic to the IP address of your CurrentWare Server computer.
- 8990 to 8998 (TCP and UDP) – CurrentWare
- 3050 (TCP and UDP) – Firebird
- 443 (TCP and UDP) – Web Services
This is a sample picture of a Linksys router’s port forwarding configuration screen. If you are not using Linksys, the menu items and labels may vary.
This is how the port forward configuration will look like for a D-Link Router:
Don’t know how to get into your router’s configuration page? Check out this resource on how to open Ports on Your Router.
#2 – Installing the CurrentWare Client
Install the CurrentWare Client by running the cwClientSetup.exe file on the Client computer.
During the installation, put in the Public IP address, hostname or DDNS of the CurrentWare Server’s Network.
Having issues connecting the external CurrentWare clients?
- Make sure the public IP address of your CurrentWare Server network has a static IP address
- Make sure your Firewall is not blocking the CurrentWare traffic
Using the CurrentWare Console Outside the Network
The Web Console of CurrentWare it has been made very simple to access your Administrative console from anywhere. All you need to know is the Public IP address (ex. 172.217. 22.14) where your CurrentWare server is installed on.
Note: You must change a couple more settings to setup your Web Console to be available outside your local network. You can find that knowledge base article here.
- Create your operators in the CurrentWare desktop application by going to Tools> Operators. You do not need to enable password security or stricter password policies for your operator account to work with the Web Console login page.
- Open the browser of your choice. The Web Console is fully function with all internet browsers.
- Enter your CurrentWare servers Public IP the browser URL bar with :8998 following it. An example would be 172.217. 22.14:8998.
- You will get the login page. You can enter your Operator Username and Password created in step #1.
Even when your computer is outside the network of the CurrentWare Server, you can connect the CurrentWare Console to it over the Internet to manage your CurrentWare solutions.
On the CurrentWare Console, go to Tools > Options > Connection > Type in the public IP address of the CurrentWare Server
Don't have CurentWare Installed? Download & Get started with a free trial!