Note: This guide is only for CurrentWare connecting to a SQL Database. Running Firebird Database with CurrentWare? Read this guide instead
Connecting the CurrentWare Clients (Remote workers)
To connect your CurrentWare Clients to the CurrentWare Server over the Internet, you will need to port forward the CurrentWare traffic from your network’s router to the CurrentWare Server computer.
#1 – Preparing your CurrentWare Server
First, you will need to set up your CurrentWare Server on a network that has a Public Static IP address (obtained from your Internet service provider).
Then, you will need to configure your router’s setting. On your router’s configuration page, go to the Port Forwarding Settings
Forward the following port traffic to the IP address of your CurrentWare Server computer.
- 8990 (TCP and UDP)
- 8991 (TCP and UDP)
- 8992 (TCP and UDP)
- 3050 (TCP and UDP)
- 1024 (TCP and UDP)
- 1433 (TCP and UDP)
- 443 (TCP and UDP)
This is a sample picture of a Linksys router’s port forwarding configuration screen. If you are not using Linksys, the menu items and labels may vary.
This is how the port forward configuration will look like for a D-Link Router:
Don’t know how to get into your router’s configuration page? Check out this resource:
#2 – Configure SQL Server Management Studio
- Launch the SQL Server Management Studio
- Log in to the SQL instance
- Right click on the instance that CurrentWare is stored and select properties
- Click on “Connections” and under the section “Remote server connections”, check the option “Allow remote connections to this server”
#3 – Configure SQL Server Configuration Manager
- Launch the SQL Server Configuration Manager
- Expand SQL Server Network Configuration
- Select Protocols
- Right click on the option “TCP/IP” and select “Properties”
- Click on the IP addresses tab
- Scroll down to “IPAll”
- For TCP Port, put in 1433
#4 – Installing the CurrentWare Client
Install the CurrentWare Client by running the cwClientSetup.exe file on the Client computer.
During the installation, put in the Public IP address, hostname or DDNS of the CurrentWare Server’s Network.
Having issues connecting the external CurrentWare clients?
- Make sure the public IP address of your CurrentWare Server network has a static IP address
- Make sure your Firewall is not blocking the CurrentWare traffic
Connecting the CurrentWare Console
On the CurrentWare Console, go to Tools > Options > Connection > Type in the public IP address of the CurrentWare Server
Don't have CurentWare Installed? Download & Get started with a free trial!