If you are having issues with websites not being blocked accordingly by BrowseControl you can conduct the following troubleshooting steps below:
- Using Domain Name in the Blocked List
- URL Category Lookup Tool
- Using the SPorder Tool to Troubleshoot URL Blocking on Windows 7/8 Computers
- Disable IPv6 Traffic
- Change the Web Filtering Technology
1. Using Domain Name in the Blocked List
Enter only the domain name of the website you wish to block with BrowseControl in your URL Blocked List.
2. URL Category Lookup Tool
Is there a website that’s not being blocked by Category Filter? Use the URL Category Lookup tool to check which category the website is being identified with, and add the corresponding category to the block list.
If you feel that BrowseControl’s Category filtering has not categorized your websites correctly, you can submit your website for reclassification.
3. Using the SPorder Tool to Troubleshoot URL Blocking on Windows 7/8 Computers
If you are using Windows 7/8 you can run a diagnostic tool called SPorder on your client computer. For more information click here: SPorder Diagnostic Tool
4. Disable IPv6 Traffic
Test if your internet service provider is using IPv6 with this link: https://ipv6-test.com/
If IPv6 Address is detected – Disable it with one of the following methods.
Disable IPv6 from Network Connection Properties
- Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections.
- Right-click on your network connection and select properties.
- Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) to disable it.
- You might experience Internet loss for a few seconds while your network is being switched to IPv4.
Disable IPv6 using Registry Editor
- Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852 and follow the steps to disable IPv6.
- To configure IPv6, modify the following registry value based on the following table. (NOTE: Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.)
- Go to Start > Run > Regedit and browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\
- Create a REG_WORD key
- Select Decimal as the Base and put in the value 255
- Restart your computer
5. Change the Web Filtering Technology
You can change the filtering technology if the one being used is not filtering your websites correctly. Switch the web filtering technology to UIA by conducting the following steps below:
- On the CurrentWare console, go to Tools > Client Settings.
- Go to the Legacy Filtering Tab and select UIA Only.
- Click on the Apply button.
Don't have CurentWare Installed? Download & Get started with a free trial!