“With the click of a computer mouse, a person can be victimized before the entire world,” announced Justice Minister Peter MacKay.
As a result, MacKay introduced Bill C-13, also known as the “Protecting Canadians from Online Crime Act”, as a legislative response to put a stop to online predators and online exploitation. It is a response to the online torment in which an increasing number of Canadian teenagers are facing today.
The new bill specifically covers intimate images and acts posted online. The offence applies to both adults and young people and is punishable up to five years in prison.
The bill will also:
- Direct judges to consider prohibiting those convicted of the offence from using the Internet for a period of time
- Authorize judges to order intimate images be removed from websites
- Authorize judges to order those convicted of the new offence to pay restitution to cover the cost of removing the images
- Empower the courts to seize and order the forfeiture of computers and mobile devices used in the offence
People are increasingly being involved in unnecessary acts online, and is important that all internet usage are controlled and monitored. The bill introduces consequences for the actions of online exploitation but necessary steps must be taken in order to prevent these future acts.
How Can I Control and Monitor Internet Access?
To ensure that future acts are prevented, having a reliable internet control software is crucial at home, school, or at your business.
Two easy and reliable ways to control and monitor internet access:
- BrowseControl restricts inappropriate web surfing and can completely block internet access, limit access to authorized web sites and protects from the threat of downloading viruses and bandwidth hogging. BrowseControl also blocks game and chat programs, a place where many online predators target.This software also blocks personal emails, which prevents inappropriate mail attachments.Another feature is the Offsite Internet Access Control, which extends your unique BrowseControl settings to all laptops as well.
- A great internet activity tracking solution is BrowseReporter. This is a web-monitoring tool that allows you to monitor all users without them knowing that their systems are being monitored.BrowseReporter is helpful because it monitors all web browsing activities and then reports the results in a comprehensive tabular and graphical report for you.With this software, you can ensure appropriate online activity and when there is a sign of online exploitation, the user’s internet access can be shut down.
It is always better to be more cautious than not. With the introduction of Bill C-13, it is increasingly important to ensure that internet access is controlled and monitored effectively. Finding a safe and reliable internet solution can help prevent inappropriate acts to cause even further damage to people.
By Anthony Trinh